Friday, May 30, 2008

The Meaning of Worship

I am currently reading a book called "The Names of God" by Lester Sumrall in preparation (or rather anticipation) of doing a study on the names of God. While reading what he wrote about the name Elohim, I got a clearer vision of what worship is. I've often wondered why we worship the way we do and why it matters. And, to be honest, I've wondered about the necessity of worshipping in song, prayer, etc. on Sunday morning. I've always understood the purpose of spreading the Word, but why the worship? Lester Sumrall doesn't address this, but I'd like to share what I discovered.

On p. 52 of his book, Lester Sumrall writes, "the name elohim basically means 'something (or someone) that is worshipped.' The elohim were the things most revered and honored by ancient man." For clarification, Elohim is a name of God as well; He is the "One that is worshipped." But as I read this I began to think about the word elohim and us today. But before I get there, Mr. Sumrall points out something else on p.52: "Our modern word worship comes from the Old English word, weorthscipe, meaning 'to attribute worth' to something. That's what the pagan people did to their elohim; they believed idols had great power to influence their everyday lives."

When I combined the definitions for worship and elohim, I saw that the thing that we worship is the thing that we think has worth. Conversely, the thing that we think has worth is the thing we worship. I had often wondered how the hand-carved idol of the ancients had transformed into the modern day "idols" of money, career, beauty, etc. I mean, how did the word become applied to something more abstract in present-day terms whereas the idols of the Old Testament and New were clearly physical representations of some "god" or other. Now, this makes more sense.

Our business has gone through some tough times lately and not too many months ago, I had to come to terms with the very real possibility that we might lose everything, including our house. I began to take a good look at what our house and our possessions and our business really meant to me. I had to make the shift in my mind from "doing everything to keep them" to "being willing to give them up." It was upon coming to the realization that if we were reduced to nothing, with only our family and the clothes on our backs, we would still be blessed and God would still provide for us, that I realized the worth I had given all the things around me.

In other words, if we expect our work to provide for us, then we've given it worth over the God who provides. If we expect beauty or accomplishments to make us important to others, then we give them value over the God who gives us worth. If we expect our careers or activities to fulfill us and give meaning to our lives, then we give them worth over the God who fills us and gives our lives meaning. If we expect our home to protect us, our money to feed us and give us pleasure, our children to validate us, our entertainment to make us happy, etc., then we give all of these things a worth that should be given only to God. He is our "all in all." (Couples, are you paying attention? Spouses and lovers count here, too.)

I look around at my house, my children, and the beauty and bounty God has placed around me with new perspective. God wants us to enjoy everything He has given us; He wants that our "joy may be made full. (John 15:11)" I think He delights when we take pleasure in what He puts in our lives. Like a parent watching their child open presents on Christmas, I believe it gives Him joy when we appreciate what we have. The problem originates when we give the the things we enjoy a value they were never meant to have.

But what does this have to do with Sunday morning worship? I'm glad you asked. If the thing we worship is the thing we say has worth, then when we come together on Sunday morning to worship the One True God, we publicly and corporately proclaim His value. When we gather together to sing the songs and lift our hands and voices in praise, we are telling the world and each other that on this Sunday morning our God means something to us.

I am not an overly demonstrative person and I usually feel awkward to lift my hands in front of other people. But this past Sunday, I unhesitatingly declared that my God is the only One who has true worth and value. This realization I had of what it means to worship has given my Sunday morning more meaning. My prayer is that it does the same for some of you.

As a side note, the Hebrew word for worship means to bow down or prostrate oneself. It is the physical act of lowering oneself before the greatness of God. (Doesn't it make lifting the hands seem rather innocuous?)But the message is the same: God is worthy. Amen.

No comments: