Sunday, July 13, 2008

Poetry?

One Friday recently, I was sitting at a restaurant waiting for a table with a very heavy heart. It was one of Steve and my date nights, but the spirit of this summer was weighing heavily on me. Summer is usually a time spent getting over the last school year and getting ready for the next one; with all the nostalgia, boredom, anticipation, and occasional fun that accompanies it. This summer has seen me feeling heavy-hearted. Much has happened in this past year and I have been greatly changed by it. Some of what passed I regret and I have much to be grateful for. But this interim between school years finds me with a deep need for real beauty. Art, poetry, music... And this is what flowed out of my heart that heavy Friday night...

Uninspired I sit imprisoned,
Longing for something I cannot have.
Oh, to create a thing of beauty,
The beautiful hymn of a life.

Why can I not reach up and grasp,
What many others have since laid down?
And watch it bloom within my hands,
And spread it's petals to the wind.

To have the pouring out from me,
Water another human soul.
To have a dream to pass along,
And inspire dreams in another heart.

Let me not be contained!
But open me up,
Spread me around the world,
Till I no longer exist.

This is my dream.
This is my desire.
Make my life a beautiful thing,
Fill me up and pour me out.

Let this vessel of clay,
Be Your golden chalice.

And nourish those
Who come to You,

With the water,
You've turned into wine.

1 comment:

Kristy said...

Jennifer, you do nourish those around you, those seeking to know Him. I am sorry to read that you are feeling heavy hearted. I don't know why you are, but I will be praying for you - that your heaviness be lifted. That you would see yourself as God does - a thing of beauty.