Saturday, September 6, 2008

Ezekiel - God Will Strengthen

A little over two weeks ago, I was working on a Bible study that I'm teaching on Friday nights. At the time I was preparing the study, I felt that this was a message that God was giving to me personally. That was not unusual. I feel particularly blessed to be able to share what God is teaching me and I give Him lots of teaching opportunities.

That particular week, I wrestled with the challenges of owning our own business. We have managed to get on a tight budget, but the past few years' history suggests that we still won't earn enough. I fight this battle over and over. Sometimes we have enough money to meet our expenses, but often we do not. I yo-yo between joyful peace in the blessings God has granted us and anxiety that God may choose not to bless us enough to get out of debt.

Then, something began to happen and God opened my eyes to see that this message went beyond my household; hurricane Gustav headed our way. It appeared that Gustav would make Katrina look like a summer breeze. This thing was scary! I remembered the suicides, the divorces, the broken relationships, depression and pain. Even though we personally suffered little physical damage, I kept thinking , "I don't want to go through this again." I read the blogs posted by my friends Kristy and Christie and hurt for them and wished I could share this message of encouragement that God had given me.

I couldn't share it with them. But as hurricane Ike begins to take aim at us, I feel compelled to post this message:

Ezekiel's name means "God will strengthen." This is the main message I've pulled from the first three chapters of Ezekiel. As I waited and procrastinated, refusing to pack, I hoped that I'd see Gustav weaken or turn. I didn't feel strong enough to see my people suffer again, and I haven't felt strong enough to weather another slow winter season. But God reminds us through Ezekiel that we don't have to face our challenges alone.

When Ezekiel saw the vision of God's glory, he fell and was unable to stand on his own. In his humanity, he was too weak to face something so much greater than himself. God knows our weaknesses. When Ezekiel falls, God calls him "son of man." By this title, God lets Ezekiel (and us) know that he understands our limitations and our need for help.

God then tells Ezekiel to stand, but Ezekiel is unable to do so. This is the critical moment. Ezekiel needs to do something he cannot do on his own strength. I faced this task two weeks ago and many of us faced it as we watched Gustav head this way.

But we are not without hope. When Ezekiel could not get up, "the Spirit entered [him] and set [him] on [his] feet." Then, the Spirit enabled him to continue standing before God for as long as he needed. When a man or woman of God has reached his or her limit, God steps in and allows us to stand.

Ike appears to grow more of a threat to us at each passing day. Again, I don't want to leave. Not only do I have Katrina in my experience, but the evacuation for Gustav was a nightmare. My emotions are running on high gear right now. I will not fall apart, but I am not at perfect peace either. Thankfully, my God understands this as well.

In chapters 2 and 3, God warns Ezekiel not to fear, not to rebel, and not to fall into discouragement. God knows that some of the situations we face will appear insurmountable. I recognize these emotions in myself. I see the fear in my, "What's going to happen to our life?" I see the rebellion in my, "I don't want to go through this again." And I see the discouragement in my, "Will it always be like this?"

Ezekiel did not want to do what God told him to do. He was bitter and angry and made no move to obey for seven days. But God had told Ezekiel that He would strengthen him, and at the end of those seven days, God laid out the consequences of not obeying. Apparently, this changed Ezekiel's mind and he submitted. Scripture doesn't say this explicitly, but at this point God moves forward with His plan with no apparent objection from Ezekiel.

So, what does this mean for us? While Ezekiel sulked, he accomplished nothing. He sat in his misery. And aren't we like the proverbial "deer in the headlights" while we fight against God? Even my own, "I don't want to go through this again," leaves me not wanting to do anything else. But what did God say? Do not fear, do not rebel, and do not fall into discouragement.

If we accept God's will and submit to Him, He will strengthen us and provide for us. After Ezekiel submitted, God told him, "But when I speak with you, I will open your mouth (after being mute) and you will say..." God promised to give Ezekiel a message and enable him to speak it.

We don't have to dread the future. God will lift us up and take us where we need to go. He will strengthen our limbs and give us words to speak. He will give us courage and help us persevere if we will only welcome Him to do so. And remember the words of Jesus in Matthew 28:20, "I am with you always (all the days), to the end of the age."

For the more detailed outline of this study, with Bible verses, click here.

2 comments:

Christie said...

Thanks for the encouragement! I love how God's word speaks so clearly to us in every situation that we face in our human experience!

Kristy said...

Right before I read this, I got a call from Clay who told me that his unit is now in "full evacuation mode", and for me to check out the latest forcast. That fear is beginning to swell in me again. I feel too tired to do this again, as I'm sure we all feel. Thanks for the encouraging words. I need to look to Him instead of giving into the fear.